Author Topic: Question about being 'furry'...  (Read 2923 times)

Welcome to sneezefurs.org. We strive to be an active, open, and friendly community. Please stop by the forum called "I'm New Here" to introduce yourself and share why you joined. Posts in the "I'm New Here" forum are never removed, but other forums are subject to occasional pruning.

Additionally, the video gallery and archived topic subforums will not become available for you until you have made at least one post.

This message will be hidden after you have made at least one post.

Offline ggolddduck

• Contributing Artist
  • Playful Wolf
  • Mehh...
    • View Profile
  • Fursona Species: Duck
Question about being 'furry'...
« on: January 20, 2013, 04:54:48 AM »
Umm... yeah, hi... hello >///<

.... so, I'm curious. How to you approach being 'furry' or liking anthropomorphic/furry stuff in the public's eye? Like... are you open about being furry? Is it an internet only thing? Do your friends know you like furry?

I ask because, though I don't classify myself as a fullblown furry... I do really like anthropomorphic animals/cartoons...and I sometimes draw them.... and I can really relate to the mallard duck as an animal... so... yeah... I'm a bit furry (or a bit more furry, I can't really tell). A few of my friends know this (only very few). The reaction I've gotten upon seeing my anthro-drawings or talking about all the duck stuff I have around... its always one of weird apprehension. Folks either don't get it AT ALL or they're like "what, you're FURRY? No way, you CAN'T be a FURRY. That would be GROSS" ... this leaves me going... umm... are furries really gross in the eyes of most? The stigma attached to the furry fandom is a very negative one from many standpoints and.... it's kinda unfounded...

I guess I'm wondering how you folks deal with this? I'm not really sure how to handle it I guess? ... yeah... just thought I'd post just in case someone had an answer?  ???
... quakk... I'm secretly a spoider...

Offline Alrek

• Old as heck
  • Contributing Artist
  • Elder Dragon
  • On-and-off artist
    • View Profile
Re: Question about being 'furry'...
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2013, 06:39:21 AM »
Only the friends I met online first know! I don't know if I call myself 'furry' all the way, either. I just like birds.

Some of my not-online friends seem to harbor some anti-furry sentiment, but it doesn't come up that often. I wouldn't tell anyone about it mostly because it doesn't really concern anyone else. If someone I liked was genuinely interested, though, I guess I wouldn't have a problem talking about it.

Offline Furry-Sneezes

• The Head Fox
  • Elder Dragon
    • View Profile
    • The Furry Sneezing Archive
  • Fursona Species: Red Fox
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2013, 12:04:31 AM »
Confidence. Don't act like it's a big deal, and don't let them walk all over you with their preconceived notions. Furries are furries are all sorts of things. You've got the crazies just like anywhere else, but mostly they need to realize that the term furry doesn't immediately mean 'total freak' :P
Flower, flower, feather, fox.

I'm the forum's admin and site owner. Send me a PM if you have any questions or concerns.

1295 files in the Art & Story Archive
1844 files in the Video Archive

Thank you everyone for helping to gather as many pictures and clips as we have!

Offline oneofthree

• Teller of Tales
  • Benevolent Writing Dragon
  • Elder Dragon
    • View Profile
  • Fursona Species: Clydesdale. Feathered hooves ftw.
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2013, 05:45:20 PM »
It's completely different for everyone.  Most people don't know about furries, don't care about furries, etc.  I approach it as something that isn't really anyone else's business.  I told my girlfriend, and my friends who share this interest know, but everyone else... For me, it's just one of those things you don't talk about.  I wouldn't go public with it, just because the public's eye is skewed by the extremists among us (Like those fursuiters in the paper somewhere for getting it on in public) who ruin it for everyone.  Most people I've told, though, I find out they don't really know much about it, or what to expect.  So, I explain it to them (Like my S.O.) And they generally understand.

I would say you need to make your own answer, but feel free to pick bits and pieces of others' to do so... it's a complicated issue.
Feel free to give me a message sometime.  I'm almost always up for a little RPing, or story ideas.
My elephant braiding her hair avatar by Moko

Offline LunarDrolf

• Fresh Flower
  • Hey I am Lunar :3
    • View Profile
  • Fursona Species: Drolf/ Dragon-wolf
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2013, 01:28:00 PM »
I am open to the people that are willing to learn more, other than that, most people don't know who it is under the fursuit. I pride myself in being a fur, but i don't flaunt it around
~The Light And The Dark~
-~I Am Both To You~-

Offline AMTW03

• Benevolent Dragon
  • Elder Dragon
    • View Profile
  • Fursona Species: Wolf
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2013, 03:52:00 PM »
From what I've gathered, the public's general negative view towards furries, and the idea that we're "freaks" or that we're "gross" is mainly because of misconceptions.  For some reason, people seem to think that furry fandom is exclusively like a sex fetish, like we're "animal humpers," (i.e. zoophiliacs), or that we dress up in fursuits strictly as a turn on for our partners.

In fact, if you want an idea of how bad these misconceptions are, Google the CSI episode that takes place at a furry convention.  It's like people think that fursuiters all get together to have one giant orgy, which is completely false.  And while some furries might be zoophiliacs (I personally am not), from what I understand zoophiles don't abuse animals or force them into unwanted acts.  And while fursuiting might be a turn on for a lot of us, I'm sure we can all agree that it's not the main purpose of furry fandom.

I'd say that you can safely call yourself a "furry" ggoldduck.  Furry fandom has a wide spectrum, from people who simply have an interest in anthro characters and art, to people who feel beyond a doubt, like they are an animal living in a human body.  I don't think there's anything wrong with with being anywhere on this spectrum.  We're just different, but that also makes us special. :)  And we're all contributing members to society, and we don't hurt anyone, so there is nothing wrong with being who we are.  And I love connecting with people who share this interest.

Me personally, I love anthro art, and can relate a lot to the canine species (like you were talking about), so I consider my fursona as sort of an alter-ego.  My girlfriend as also a furry, and I think she feels the same way.  And as for why a lot of us wear fursuits...well, some people are gung-ho into things like Star Trek, and go to conventions and dress up like the characters, or even wear that stuff in public.  So how are we any different? :)  And as for "yiffing" and the fetish side of furries, well...I guess if there's a deep interest in these characters, to various degrees, there's also an attraction to them, which there is also nothing wrong with.

Anyway to answer your question, I'm not very open about the subject, except to communities like this online.  I don't see the point in sharing this with people if they're just going to act apprehensive and possibly react negatively.  But if someone were to ask, I like what Furry-Sneezes said about confidence.  I'd answer honestly and confidently.  And if they react negatively, that's their problem.  Does all that help?

Anyway, sorry for the long post.  I have the tendency to ramble. :P