Author Topic: Ramblin' On About The Forum  (Read 5550 times)

Offline Otaku

• Playful Wolf
    • View Profile
Ramblin' On About The Forum
« on: April 17, 2013, 01:59:23 AM »
This is something I've been thinking about for a while relating to the recent changes regarding access to stuff based around post count/user activity. I find the issue super interesting, and apparently we're hurting for activity, so I figure maybe why not ramble a bit! Also maybe provide low post-count users a topic or two to have an opinion on and then get their posts up a bit ;p

So first I have to say a little about me for appropriate context: I'm not actually a "furry" in what I understand to be the true sense. I have only a limited idea about what a fursona is. I'm basically only here for the sneezing aspect, because I find that at least cute if not hot coming from whatever.

As a result, I've always felt a tad outsiderish around here. Like, a lot of the content and discussion here is not exactly "for" me; I'm not as into as many aspects of it as most people here would be. Which is fine! The place is still great and it's not like I feel shunned in any way or that a forum ought to change to make one weirdo more comfortable. I'm mostly bringing it up as context, like I said, and also to make a point of the fact that it is super weird that I still am a relatively active user.

The low level of activity...well that's a misnomer actually. This forum is actually pretty jumpin', there's like an update every few days or so. It's just that it's mostly the same few people who update and comment on the updates, and there's not a whole lot else going on. In some ways that's actually kinda good I think, there's not as much trivial nonsense getting thrown around. But at the same time, it makes stuff feel less personable. Maybe it's just me, but it seems like not as many people around here really know each other as much as like say on the prime SF forum (get ready for a lot of comparisons to that forum since I am in a semi-unique position to comment about them).

The reason this is super weird to me is that this place, with a pretty low level of general social interaction, updates HELLA (in my west-coast parlance). Like, more than the SF forum. That's really impressive, and also brings up a strange point. Maybe I'm misinterpreting this (and if you disagree please share your views!) but it seems like you'd assume if people aren't talking to each other a lot, they aren't terribly interested in each other. Yet lots and lots of people are making or finding awesome content for this forum all the time and sharing it with everyone.

So like, what gives? Why is there such a disconnect between how much people here act like they care vs how much people sound like they care? This community has to be pretty active in order to generate as many updates as it does, but apparently it's not terribly social. Why would that be? Is it really something to fret over? Is the situation not actually as I portray it? What do you all think?

Sorry if I got a tad verbose there, like I say this is a really interesting topic to me.

Offline Smiles2us

• Crafty Fox
    • View Profile
  • Fursona Species: Not sure.
Re: Ramblin' On About The Forum
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2013, 11:11:42 PM »
This is something I've been thinking about for a while relating to the recent changes regarding access to stuff based around post count/user activity. I find the issue super interesting, and apparently we're hurting for activity, so I figure maybe why not ramble a bit! Also maybe provide low post-count users a topic or two to have an opinion on and then get their posts up a bit ;p

So first I have to say a little about me for appropriate context: I'm not actually a "furry" in what I understand to be the true sense. I have only a limited idea about what a fursona is. I'm basically only here for the sneezing aspect, because I find that at least cute if not hot coming from whatever.

I have to agree with you pretty much.  I am not a furry... spoot, I didn't even know what it was when I joined.  I enjoy it because I find it cute.  But I agree overall.  Except for a few members who know each others pretty well, most don't really know each other.  That isn't bad, maybe thats how it is supposed to be.

Even in the artwork and stories thread, art is posted and you get a lot of "great jobs" and "awesome's" but beyond that, there is not much interaction.  It is only if they is a group project do we see some interest that fizzles out (sneeze game creation). 

This site updates frequently with great material for people and lots of talented people making material.  The archives of content are also updated a lot.  But how can we increase activity?  I hate to say we need to force people to get to a certain post count to reach the "archives" because that seems pointless.

Maybe we can just gather some people here to agree we can put more depth in our posts?  Like a binding agreement?  I don't know.  I like this forum a lot, and I am always kinda bummed when I check to see if anything new is posted, and nothing has been done.  I will admit, I am part of the problem too.  I check the media section, click a link to something, but then don't respond.  I am letting you all know I will try to fix that now.  If I click something, or see something, I will try to respond meaningfully and give feedback to all the great artists, clippers, and others here.

Good thread idea Otaku.  Hopefully it will be a good conversation starter and we can really talk about stuff.

*Shakes Otaku's hand.*

Nice to meet you formally.

Offline JMQwilleran

• Elder Dragon
    • View Profile
    • Eternal Sonata Wiki
  • Fursona Species: Favorite animal - guinea pig
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2013, 09:36:17 PM »
I'm also not a furry in the truest sense-- I knew what one was before coming in, but I'm mainly here for the sneezing and it just so happens that a lot of the shows / books that I follow happen to include characters that are furry.

Offline Alrek

• Contributing Artist
  • Elder Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2013, 11:36:36 PM »
Can't speak for everyone, but

I am not terribly active here because I can't say I enjoy many of the interactions I have had with sneeze-related folks, nor furry-related folks. This place is both, and while it is nice that such a community exists, I feel like I don't really fit in here.

That's all for me.

Offline SnEeZy

• Librarian Mouse of Sneezefinds
  • Contributing Writer
  • Elder Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2013, 12:16:00 PM »
i'm in the same boat, i'm afraid.

i really don't have much to say whenever i come here. i appreciate that the site exists, be it fetish-wise or for nostalgia's sake, and i thank you guys for that. it's not in vain. but i'm afraid my experiences with others have shot down any hope of me really wanting to be 'open' and pro-community activity, furry or sneezy furry, whathaveyou. to be honest, i can't say there's a single person i can trust or make with the nice for fear of having a spotlight on me.

unless something like that can be repaired, then i'm sorry. i don't think it can.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2013, 12:24:57 PM by SnEeZy »

Offline Otaku

• Playful Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2013, 05:58:27 PM »
I am not terribly active here because I can't say I enjoy many of the interactions I have had with sneeze-related folks, nor furry-related folks. This place is both, and while it is nice that such a community exists, I feel like I don't really fit in here.

So this is really interesting, cuz I've been feeling like that myself lately and as a result my activity on both forums has been dropping off. I hadn't thought much of it, cuz I'm pretty busy with irl stuff right now, but when I think about it it's a pretty extreme difference from how I used to be, posing almost every other day. For me it has less to do with interactions (though also a part of it) and more to do with what I see on the forum. I look at the fics and the general discussions and I start to feel that the site just isn't really for me, that the community is just way too different (though on this forum it's because of mad hype for foxgirls and foxdudes and on the other it's because of fansquealing over One Direction) >_>

I wonder if outside of the fetish, most of us members have just got nothing in common, and the fetish isn't actually really enough to relate over? That would explain why the Real Life Lounge is so empty all the time, certainly. But are we actually that different, or do we just not feel comfortable expressing too much of ourselves outside the fetish? I think that the fetish should be a fast track to intimacy, since we all already know each other's biggest secret from the start. But maybe that actually makes the trivial things more private; stuff like what your favorite movie is or what music you like, stuff that actually says something about who you are. This is a lot to mull over.

Also nice to meet you too, Smiles, you're a pretty cool dude! I still have a big ol' folder of all that stuff your pal USAPatriot did like years ago. You should bump that topic on the other forum some time, it's worth showing the newbies ^.^

Offline Furry-Sneezes

• The Head Fox
  • Elder Dragon
    • View Profile
    • The Furry Sneezing Archive
  • Fursona Species: Red Fox
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2013, 07:45:25 PM »
*Laughs a bit at 'mad hype for foxes'* I'm nearly the only one who gets commissions done, so I get done what I personally like.

I wish I could understand what has everyone so hesitant to be active. I realize there's been people in the past that have perhaps pushed others away. But new folks show up all the time. *shrugs* Everyone just has too many friends these days so internet contact becomes less important. That's what I figure.
Flower, flower, feather, fox.

I'm the forum's admin and site owner. Send me a PM if you have any questions or concerns.

1295 files in the Art & Story Archive
1844 files in the Video Archive

Thank you everyone for helping to gather as many pictures and clips as we have!

Offline Otaku

• Playful Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2013, 12:09:40 AM »
^ For the record I was just using that as an easy example, foxgirls are indeed hype and I know of what commissions you speak of and they too are hype.

Offline SnEeZy

• Contributing Writer
  • Elder Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2014, 01:04:14 AM »
i know this topic is pretty dead, but i thought about something recently. dunno if it's worth bringing up to contribute to the topic at hand.

i think maybe some of the disconnect maybe comes with how furry sneezing is kind of unique from the world of the sneezing fetish. generally speaking prior to this site's creation it's always been a classification of male vs. female sneezing, mostly human: it was one or the other, or both. anything extra would be considered a personal spice and acquired taste, much like one might say they enjoy 'sneezing and--', i guess.

and yet with sneezefurs it's tied into the basics of the furry fandom, and those that are tied into it more than others, it's more than just whether or not it's male or female. there are a lot of species people might prefer, more than a dozen extra categories: you've got the elephants, the dragons, the rodents, the foxes, the vixens, Dulcy, Inflatabelle, Lil' Sneezer, all that kinda stuff. naturally no one is one in the same because it's a lot more diverse here. on top of male or female, it's now what kind of specific species you like and everyone has their own little group, some larger than others.

i guess the diversity also kinda creates that divide. there might be about six people who want to see macros sneeze buildings down, while another four through seven don't mind a down-to-earth furry dog couple sneeze and get down and dirty in the bathroom, and so on. i dunno, just a thought.

that and i dunno if it's the forum itself, or just real life getting in the way, but there's quite a few members who've stopped posting just before 2012. in some cases it's been announced they'll be going away, others have just gone MIA. either their sneeze fetish died out or something. speak nothing of blinky too, who probably still waits for his next plotted revenge at some point. that's also probably turned a lot of people away.

but yeah, just my two cents.

Offline AMTW03

• Benevolent Dragon
  • Elder Dragon
    • View Profile
  • Fursona Species: Wolf
« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2014, 12:01:28 PM »
Hmm interesting.  I didn't see this topic before it got bumped.  Well, I will start by saying that I'm sorry to hear that some of you feel like this forum isn't for you, or doesn't appeal to you.  There's nothing wrong with that, but I really do hope that nobody who ever visits this site feels out of place, or like they don't belong.  We are after all, a community.  You don't HAVE to have a sneeze fetish or be into furry fandom to be a member here, and you certainly don't have to BE a furry.  While those are perks, if this site appeals to you in any way, even if you're just curious what we're all about, anyone is welcome on here.  There are no requirements to join.  I personally joined WAY before I ever knew that I was a furry.  I've had a sneeze fetish for a long time, but I was first interested in this site because for a while, I was particularly fascinated with animal sneezes, for a number of reasons.  Bigger nose, more sensitive nose, more potential for a sneeze, and for a bigger sneeze, etc.  And of course, they're often exaggerated in cartoons and with fictional characters.  So naturally I felt right at home when I joined, and still do. :)

As for the social interaction discussion, well I'd have to disagree about there being dividing lines.  Sure, we all have varying preferences regarding what we're into as far as species, types, etc.  Myself included.  But, I personally like just about everything that people post on here.  Even if it's not something I'm really into, it is still sneezing, and I usually like it to some degree, and at very least I appreciate the artist/writer for taking the time to contribute.  It seems I'm not alone, as everybody seems very supportive of each other's work.  :)  Yes, comments could be better than "Good job" or "Nice!" (I've tried to be more descriptive lately myself), but regardless I've always felt like the atmosphere here is positive and uplifting.

I think people have actually gotten a lot more talkative on here lately, and more of us are familiar with who a lot of users are.  But to answer the question as to why the social interactions in general have been limited, and very few people have really "gotten to know each other" on here, well I just think that it's because this is such a strange and unique interest that so few can relate to (I'd imagine there's a lot more members on the prime SF forum), and it's such a deep secret for many of us, so we just choose for this to be a place where we can share and relate about our fetish without having to let go of the safety of being anonymous.  Also maybe it's because, like it was mentioned before, a deep secret like this raises the potential for intimacy, and maybe a lot of us don't want that.  In my case where I already have a girlfriend in real life, I don't want to be disrespectful to her by getting in too deep with others, or sharing too much about what "turns me on."  In both cases, I really don't see anything wrong with that.  Regardless of the amount of interaction, I still feel that this is a great community that I'm happy to be a part of. :)

Offline SnEeZy

• Contributing Writer
  • Elder Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 19, 2014, 05:58:09 PM »
it's getting better here a little bit each and every time, yeah :) and i agree with the secrecy. i remember posting on here before that a lot of people don't like to be kinda -nudged- into being more open with themselves. it has to take time. some longer than others: a few will come out and say 'hi guys i have the fetish 'sup?' while others still need to think it out or prefer their own boundaries. sometimes it's best to let them come to us rather than handing out invitations, lol xD

Offline Furry-Sneezes

• The Head Fox
  • Elder Dragon
    • View Profile
    • The Furry Sneezing Archive
  • Fursona Species: Red Fox
« Reply #11 on: June 20, 2014, 06:24:10 AM »
Thank you for those kind and very appropriate words, ATMW. Err, AMTW. *chuckles a bit* Money-Machine Wolf, nah that's just not right.

I have a few pieces to the vision I hold for this site. One is that the primary focus is towards anthropomorphic animals combined with sneezing, and that the community is driven by these elements. Another is that this site is an archive, and not a gallery, meant to preserve relevant pieces of data for the sake of the community. The other vision is that the site feels like a positive environment, with members treating each other with respect. I don't have any desire for this site to be huge and popular. I actually would probably prefer if it was small and quaint forever. :3

But yes, you phrased it well. If you're someone who feels like they would like to be a part of this community, and you're willing to treat the other members with respect and help foster a positive atmosphere, it doesn't matter to me if your interests are in sneezing, furries, both, neither. There's occasionally people who register that are curious, even those who come in because they have a friend here and don't even have a sneezing fetish. I don't deny these people, and if they happen to be active or even become a fan of one of those main elements, then I think that's really cool.

There's all sorts of reasons why we like mixing sneezing with furry. For some, it boils down more to the individual features, which means they aren't concerned with how much anthropomorphism is applied. When it comes to sneezing, even I can agree with this. (Just look at Wolfie! XD Light anthropomorphism, but I really like the individual features and intensity of body language used in it.) I have a bias towards foxes and other canids, but there's people here who like elephants, dragons, horses. Each of these are drastically different. Some like everything, some like only one thing. But if we can at least respect each other's tastes even while not having a personal interest in it, then that's the type of thing that makes for a good community.

I, too, would like to see more appreciation towards artistic works, or writing, but I'm guilty of not replying to much. Partially due to narrow tastes, but partially due to the mood to read and enjoy being different from the mood to critique or thank. I hope that people will realize that no comments doesn't necessarily mean that the content was unappreciated. ^_^ One thing I always personally like to see is when contributors have put effort into improving over an extended period of time. And remember, everyone, that improvement comes from variety. Try new things, even things unrelated to sneezing, when improving your craft. Remember to understand the basics, y'know? :3

Speaking of quality, not everything users post makes it into the archives. I hope no one takes any offense to that. I'm actually discussing with my moderators what we can do to improve the overall quality standard for the older material in the archive, without specifically deleting pieces from the archive. I already deleted one set of images and they were quickly missed, so selecting which ones are artistically strong across the board is a difficult thing to do. I also know there's some things outside of the forum that I've given a pass on that others might have chosen to add. *sigh* I ~am~ trying, but even in understanding it, neutrality is a hard feat.

Moving on, anonymity is definitely a part of this fetish, possibly more than others (I think relating to the involuntary nature of it). I'm personally guilty of it, with good reason. *Jabs a finger at recent drama* I wouldn't want all of that associated with my normal internet life, for example. Rumors, conflict, hostility, stalking in the case of a past member. When you mess with things people consider as porn, it becomes a very touchy matter. I'm sure most people that are here with anonymity to their identities have their own reasons. There are people in this community that know who I am outside of it, and I'm fine with that. But my public face around here will always be of a generic fox-sneeze loving organizer.

I do hope that over time, more people can be more open with others about the other aspects of their lives. Some of the more enjoyable conversations I have in the chat aren't from the roleplaying or talk about sneezing preferences but actually the odd talks of interests such as gaming or anime, or even other reallife discussions that crop up. I think it's nice to share in such things with friends.

In any case. I'm glad to see a member feeling positive about the community and I want to continue to create that type of atmosphere. I know there's been a lot of mini-drama going on around here in the past few weeks, and I encourage those with concerns of rumors to directly speak to me. I want to be understood in the decisions I make. Yes, they are my decisions, and I will not be changing them, but I want people to understand why I made the decisions, and I want them to understand that I try not to make decisions made on personal bias alone. And above all else, I respect those who contribute and post on this forum. I don't want to have people resent and betray the community we have here simply because they feel I've made a personal attack against them. My decisions recently have all been tough, and they've all had a negative side to them no matter what decision is made. But I do want to retain a positive community, so talk to me. Let's work it out, yeah? :)
Flower, flower, feather, fox.

I'm the forum's admin and site owner. Send me a PM if you have any questions or concerns.

1295 files in the Art & Story Archive
1844 files in the Video Archive

Thank you everyone for helping to gather as many pictures and clips as we have!

Offline AMTW03

• Benevolent Dragon
  • Elder Dragon
    • View Profile
  • Fursona Species: Wolf
« Reply #12 on: June 22, 2014, 03:56:04 PM »
Right you are Sneezy.  It does take time.  I know I was on here for quite a while before I made my first post.  That's one great thing about this place.  No pressure to open up. :)

And you're very welcome Furry-Sneezes. :)  Umm...money machine? ...oh wait...BAAHH HAHAHA I see whatcha did there xDDD

I'd have to say that you have a very good and positive vision for this site.  And I couldn't agree more.  I also wouldn't complain if it remains small and quaint.  Although, if it does manage to get really popular, I wouldn't call it a bad thing.  But yes, I think it's great that even though we have a wide variety of preferences for sneezing, everyone seems to respect each other and encourage one another. :)  And as for art appreciation, I'm definitely guilty of slacking when it comes to leaving feedback.  But I agree, just because something didn't get a ton of comments, that shouldn't be discouraging.  I've contributed one story to this site, and it's only received a handful of comments, but I sincerely appreciate every one of them, no matter how deep or detailed they are.  It means a lot that even a few people took the time to leave feedback.  Plus, it's gotten a lot of views, so I hope that means that people like it. :)  But yes, it's nice seeing people grow and improve over time.

It sounds like there's a number of reasons that people remain anonymous on here, but again that's totally fine.  Personally, I don't care to share something so deep about myself with people I know in real life, except those really close to me.  So, I keep the chances of that happening to a minimum by staying anonymous.  But I agree, it's nice that a lot of us converse over everyday stuff on here as well.

I wasn't aware of any drama going on recently.  I'm sorry to hear that you had to put up with that, and make some tough decisions.  I know how it goes when you're trying to lead a group.  One of the biggest things I've found is that you can never make everybody happy.  But, I can tell you're doing your best to be fair.  Like you said, neutrality can be a challenge.  But anyway, I do appreciate everything you do for us. :)