Author Topic: Tips for fics?  (Read 407 times)

Welcome to sneezefurs.org. We strive to be an active, open, and friendly community. Please stop by the forum called "I'm New Here" to introduce yourself and share why you joined. Posts in the "I'm New Here" forum are never removed, but other forums are subject to occasional pruning.

Additionally, the video gallery and archived topic subforums will not become available for you until you have made at least one post.

This message will be hidden after you have made at least one post.

Offline Sweet Ghost

• Fresh Flower
    • View Profile
  • Fursona Species: Shark
Tips for fics?
« on: November 14, 2018, 06:16:49 AM »
Calling all fic writers here!

I've written my share of fiction in the past, but I've yet to dabble in the art of sneeze fics. Do any of you lovely writers out there have any tips for me on getting started? IE what you've found works, doesn't work, maybe some elements that are situationally good, etc...

Offline CC007

• Crafty Fox
  • Tickle, tickle, tickle~
    • View Profile
  • Fursona Species: Elephants and octopuses
Re: Tips for fics?
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2018, 09:07:20 AM »
First off, you need a theme. It could be a cold, something allergy-driven, playful torture, natural irritants, dangerous situation; anything really. You need a good theme that'll be your base centrepiece and focus. This will eventually lead to your scenario.

Next up you should plan your characters. You choose age, gender, name, and all that other vital stuff. State their personalities and allergies (if they have any allergies) in the story. They're the ones that give the story life.

The most important thing when it comes to writing a sneezefic is detail. If you don't put much detail, your readers won't be satisfied. Put as much detail as possible, even if it's minor like nostrils twitching or pressure building on certain areas. If you want an example, you can search several stories here and get some research. You'll see there are words and phrases usually repeated in them, such as 'nostrils flaring' or 'muzzle scrunching' or 'sniffling wetly/harshly', stuff like that.

The resolution or ending - in my personal opinion - is not the most important bit compared to the rest. However, you should try to make it as good and logical as possible, so the idea will sell to the viewers.

If you manage to make a good enough story, you might earn yourself some eager readers. :3
I try to do my best, even if I'm not the best.

Offline Sweet Ghost

• Fresh Flower
    • View Profile
  • Fursona Species: Shark
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2018, 08:33:19 PM »
Thanks for the advice! Out of curiosity do you think there could be such a thing as too much detail? I used to be a big culprit of loading passages up with purple prose, but I've done a lot more technical writing recently for my job, which emphasises being really concise... the exact level of detail in my personal writing is something I've struggled with as a result. :(

I've been doing my fair share of "research" already, but I wanted to see if I could get some direct dialogue with some of the lovely authors here in addition to reading their works.

Offline yasl

• Crafty Fox
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2018, 01:30:53 PM »
Poor writing has no detail.  Mediocre writing has too much.  Better writing expresses detail concisely.

The conciseness of technical writing is generally a good thing.  If you can make the same impact in fewer words, then you should.  That said, fiction needs to both convey fact *and* stir emotion.
This doesn't mean opening the detail floodgates, and certainly doesn't mean using lots of words, but rather borrowing elements of poetry.  Good writing knows when to gloss over something, when to insinuate, and when to linger.

... And writing sneezefic, you're going to spend a lot of time lingering on the SF-related detail!

I take it as given that you already know what kind of SF-related detail floats you boat and can write to that.

Assuming you're writing furry sneezefic in particular, I encourage you to take full advantage of the exotic anatomy at your disposal!  How does the tickle of an impending sneeze feel along a large snout?  The lip curls back... do we see sharp teeth?  A ridged ceiling of the mouth?  What shape are the nostrils?  How do they flare?  Where does the tell-tale drop of moisture pool?  Do they stifle into a wing?  An arm with fur?  (Does it tickle?)  Scales?  (Do they scratch?)  In the aftermath, do they make a canine shake of their head?  Hide their trunk?  Blow their nose?  (And does that pose logistical problems for a standard tissue or hanky?)  The possibilities are endless.

For "research" on this site, I'd recommend the works of Java and tarogal.

(Java goes by other names elsewhere, and I'd recommend all her writing.  tarogal is *the tarogal* from the early days of the online SF community.)

Offline CC007

• Crafty Fox
  • Tickle, tickle, tickle~
    • View Profile
  • Fursona Species: Elephants and octopuses
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2018, 03:22:37 PM »
I agree with yasl. There is indeed something as 'too much detail'. It's the point where you try to force the idea too much and the words start to get overly repetitive, making it a boring read for the viewers who want the 'thrill' from sneezefics.

As yasl has said, anatomy is one of the most crucial parts in sneezefics. Not adding those details he's mentioned above would make the story quite lacking in description. However, remember not to put too much of it, and keep a small distance between those details. Putting all of them in one paragraph and changing the slightly for the next ones is an overload for the eyes.

It might be difficult to understand (maybe due to my rather poor explanation ^^;) but as you develop as a writer, you'll get it.
I try to do my best, even if I'm not the best.