Author Topic: Better save Youtube stuff you like while you can  (Read 986 times)

Welcome to sneezefurs.org. We strive to be an active, open, and friendly community. Please stop by the forum called "I'm New Here" to introduce yourself and share why you joined. Posts in the "I'm New Here" forum are never removed, but other forums are subject to occasional pruning.

Additionally, the video gallery and archived topic subforums will not become available for you until you have made at least one post.

This message will be hidden after you have made at least one post.

Offline Otaku

• Playful Wolf
    • View Profile
Better save Youtube stuff you like while you can
« on: November 16, 2019, 08:01:32 AM »
So Youtube's going to be updating its policies to comply with a very broad US law referred to as COPPA. I don't know all the details but from what I've read, it sounds like there's a real risk that a lot of content related to our interests could be taken down very soon.

Basically, the issue comes from this: all creators are going to have to mark their vids as "family friendly" or not. BUT it appears as though even if they mark their vids as mature, if according to some very nebulous conditions their videos are found to be aimed towards minors anyway, they could still be heavily fined. Depending on how seriously this is going to be enforced, it could mean that a lot of channel creators are going to not want to risk it and take anything that's in a gray area down.

As an example, a clip of a sneezing cartoon dog might not be marked as "family friendly" because it's up for kink reasons, and even if the net police don't know that better safe than sorry. Except it's a cartoon dog, from a kid's show, so it's possible it would still be considered aimed at kids? Would the correct thing to be mark it as family friendly so nobody thinks that maybe it's not? I don't know, the law isn't clear, and channel creators might not want to gamble with it.

It is possible this won't be policed heavily enough to make any difference, or that sneezy cgi bears are low enough on Big Brother's hit list that we don't have to worry that much. Still, I'd recommend saving any favs you haven't already saved in the next few days, to be on the safe side.

Offline Chikara

• Canid Leaders
  • Elder Dragon
    • View Profile
Re: Better save Youtube stuff you like while you can
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2019, 11:43:28 AM »
I received an e-mail about this too. I'm also concerned youtube will use this as an excuse to purge content they don't approve of.

(I don't like being forced to comply with some foreign country's laws, but that's a bigger issue than just youtube)

Offline CC007

• Elder Dragon
  • Tickle, tickle, tickle~
    • View Profile
  • Fursona Species: Elephants and octopuses
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2019, 03:09:26 PM »
Then these YouTubers may need to upload longer clips from a single episode in order to avoid the law instead of sneezes only, maybe like a 6-minute clip from a cartoon.
I try to do my best, even if I'm not the best.

Offline Furry-Sneezes

• The Head Fox
  • Elder Dragon
    • View Profile
    • The Furry Sneezing Archive
  • Fursona Species: Red Fox
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2019, 07:00:16 PM »
I do wonder if there's a chance of being driven back underground. All the more reason to continue work on the project I've been sending out feelers on. I want to rejuvenate the archive around here but between drama and bloating, it's been pretty hard to do. Hence being like, 2-3 years behind on content. This may be a good catalyst for getting folks together again and really working hard to compile stuff together....... We'll have to see. (On that note, I WILL eventually be looking for people to help with timestamps and organization! :O)
Flower, flower, feather, fox.

I'm the forum's admin and site owner. Send me a PM if you have any questions or concerns.

1295 files in the Art & Story Archive
1844 files in the Video Archive

Thank you everyone for helping to gather as many pictures and clips as we have!

Offline UltimateChimera

• Crafty Fox
    • View Profile
  • Fursona Species: A Chimera
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2019, 12:00:17 AM »
Thank you for the heads up. I was planning to get a few clips saved.
Outside of the context of sneezy kinks, wonder what this means for the rest of YouTube for the time being
Coochie coo, you'll sneeze soon~

Offline Furry-Sneezes

• The Head Fox
  • Elder Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2019, 04:06:00 AM »
By the way, who here spends a lot of time poking at the Video Archive side of the site? Like, I know there's StrongestSneeze and JMQ, but who else? And I don't mean just going out and finding stuff, but in general consuming and appreciating the video archive.

I'm the forum's admin and site owner. Send me a PM if you have any questions or concerns.

Offline CC007

• Elder Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2019, 04:08:32 AM »
By the way, who here spends a lot of time poking at the Video Archive side of the site? Like, I know there's StrongestSneeze and JMQ, but who else? And I don't mean just going out and finding stuff, but in general consuming and appreciating the video archive.

Not me sadly, though I have browsed it a few times. I generally just look at YouTube for it. But if the rule passes we may need to download a bunch of stuff.

Offline Furry-Sneezes

• The Head Fox
  • Elder Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2019, 04:21:06 AM »
Sadly, indeed, though you're still welcome to lend me a hand if you feel like you've got some free time. I'm working on setting up a Trello right now.

https://trello.com/b/hCY3YJQP
« Last Edit: November 17, 2019, 04:33:54 AM by Furry-Sneezes »

Offline UltimateChimera

• Crafty Fox
    • View Profile
  • Fursona Species: A Chimera
« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2019, 05:35:26 AM »

I did spend a night or two poking around most of it, it's a good archive~ xP
Coochie coo, you'll sneeze soon~

Offline Furry-Sneezes

• The Head Fox
  • Elder Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2019, 06:00:03 AM »
I want to make it better. Not just with the content (updates) but with how to navigate it. Thumbnails aren't an option but I have other things in mind. That said, the part I need help with is this Trello thing.

Offline Chikara

• Canid Leaders
  • Elder Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 17, 2019, 10:21:29 AM »
I've been noticing an increase in new members since the blue forum went down, maybe someone with the right skills will appear that way.

Offline CC007

• Elder Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 17, 2019, 11:53:38 AM »
I want to make it better. Not just with the content (updates) but with how to navigate it. Thumbnails aren't an option but I have other things in mind. That said, the part I need help with is this Trello thing.

I'm not that good with website designing, and I didn't even know what Trello was until you mentioned it. ;w;