Author Topic: Dav Pilkey's Dragon Art Practice (m, pollen)  (Read 320 times)

Welcome to sneezefurs.org. We strive to be an active, open, and friendly community. Please stop by the forum called "I'm New Here" to introduce yourself and share why you joined. Posts in the "I'm New Here" forum are never removed, but other forums are subject to occasional pruning.

Additionally, the video gallery and archived topic subforums will not become available for you until you have made at least one post.

This message will be hidden after you have made at least one post.

Offline RyuunosukeKuorsawa96

• Young Kitten
    • View Profile
  • Fursona Species: Wolf
Dav Pilkey's Dragon Art Practice (m, pollen)
« on: January 22, 2021, 12:56:59 AM »
As I've never been good at drawing facial expressions, I decided to start practicing using rudimentary art styles, such as Dav Pilkey's particular style. It was just lucky for me that he did some cute children's books about a dragon going about usual daily routines with little bits of comedy here and there. As far as I know based on the three books I've looked through of his Dragon series, Dragon himself has never sneezed, so using some of his tutorials provided at the end of each book as a template (as well as carefully trying to recreate certain poses from the books themseves), I pieced together my own little comic of Dragon sneezing from a flower.

Again, it's heavily rudimentary simply for the sake of trying to work with facial expressions for the first time. :P

Offline Furry-Sneezes

• The Head Fox
  • Elder Dragon
    • View Profile
    • The Furry Sneezing Archive
  • Fursona Species: Red Fox
Re: Dav Pilkey's Dragon Art Practice (m, pollen)
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2021, 01:50:38 AM »
We all start somewhere, right? Starting with something simple and familiar is perfectly fine. It's neat that there were drawing tutorials in the book.

As you go forward, keep in mind that there's a reason that life drawing has always been a mainstay for gaining art experience. Replicating the world around you lets you start to explore new options. Aside from that, construction circles are great. Perhaps not as much with the style shown here, but in terms of free-form facial expressions and body positions.
Flower, flower, feather, fox.

I'm the forum's admin and site owner. Send me a PM if you have any questions or concerns.

1295 files in the Art & Story Archive
1844 files in the Video Archive

Thank you everyone for helping to gather as many pictures and clips as we have!

Offline UltimateChimera

• Crafty Fox
    • View Profile
  • Fursona Species: Varied
Re: Dav Pilkey's Dragon Art Practice (m, pollen)
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2021, 09:09:22 PM »
Awww, it's a cute style!
What a cute dragon~
Coochie coo, you'll sneeze soon~