Poll

What is your preferred way to use the Art Gallery?

100% Aeva (the one with thumbnails)
7 (63.6%)
50% Aeva, 50% Directory (searching in one or the other, browsing in the opposite)
0 (0%)
100% Directory (the file listing, like the video archive)
4 (36.4%)

Total Members Voted: 11

Author Topic: [Poll] Running into site issues, need to ask about features.  (Read 362 times)

Welcome to sneezefurs.org. We strive to be an active, open, and friendly community. Please visit the subforum called "I'm New Here" to introduce yourself and share why you joined. Posts in the "I'm New Here" forum are never removed, but other subforums are subject to occasional pruning.

Additionally, the video gallery and archived topic subforums will not become available for you until you have made at least one post.

This message will be hidden after you have made at least one post.

Offline Furry-Sneezes

• The Head Fox
  • Elder Dragon
    • View Profile
    • The Furry Sneezing Archive
  • Fursona Species: Red Fox
[Poll] Running into site issues, need to ask about features.
« on: August 18, 2021, 08:46:05 PM »
Just needing to see how many users rely on the Aeva gallery. It's very outdated and potentially buggy, so I may have to be removing it soon... I'm not aware of any alternatives, especially that contain a proper tagging system, or that can import the Aeva settings. I used it to credit artists to the best degree I could. It took a lot of time to set up. But it wasn't a system that received reliable support and at this point, I think it's causing severe issues with the website.

But I don't know. I have a few other things to clean up first.

Speaking of which, if there's anyone who would be willing to help with a beta test, send me a note. You must be a daily multi-visitor because I'm going to need help with relatively short notice. Thanks.
Flower, flower, feather, fox. <-- Link finally works!

I'm the forum's admin and site owner. Send me a PM if you have any questions or concerns.

1295 files in the Art & Story Archive
1844 files in the Video Archive

Thank you everyone for helping to gather as many pictures and clips as we have!

Offline oOMariusOo

• Fresh Flower
    • View Profile
  • Fursona Species: In my favorites on Furaffinity, there are as many wolves, foxes, felines, dragons, mice etc...
Re: [Poll] Running into site issues, need to ask about features.
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2021, 10:34:46 PM »
If I understood correctly what you are explaining here, for my part, I quite like the art gallery as it is there now. The only problem is the images that don't always appear. A good alternative would be to make "Directory" like the video archive list, but displaying the images in tooltips. When we hover the mouse over it, we would have a tooltip with the image appearing. And also, I think it would be nice to be able to put them in a little more subcategories, it can be not bad too. :)

Offline Furry-Sneezes

• The Head Fox
  • Elder Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2021, 02:31:22 AM »
I don't know any coders so I don't have the ability to do something even close to that, sadly. I have to rely on addons meant for SMF. Aeva hasn't been supported for a long long time, and I'm not sure if there's a package that can be a substitute for it, or import its data.

I am, however, glad to see that people have been making use of Avea overall. As for subcategories, there's searching by tags (click the words) but there's no way to search for two tags at once. :( It's not the greatest set-up. A bouru(?) would probably be what people would make in the modern times. Like e621, etc. But with everything else, copying it over and maintaining stuff like source, and tying comments into the forum logins, it's all beyond me.

I'm the forum's admin and site owner. Send me a PM if you have any questions or concerns.

Offline Furry-Sneezes

• The Head Fox
  • Elder Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2021, 05:54:05 AM »
Dropping this link here as a potential hint towards an Aeva alternative. https://www.smfhacks.com/index.php?topic=9135.0 I just wish this stuff wasn't so overwhelming for me.

Offline oneofthree

• Teller of Tales
  • Benevolent Writing Dragon
  • Elder Dragon
    • View Profile
  • Fursona Species: Clydesdale. Feathered hooves ftw.
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2021, 01:28:34 PM »
I do quite like the thumbnails, since it's easy to see at a glance if you'd be interested in the image, but it's not the end of the world if it's not feasible for a small custom operation going forward.  Them's the breaks.
Feel free to give me a message sometime.  I'm almost always up for a little RPing, or story ideas.
My elephant braiding her hair avatar by Moko

Offline Furry-Sneezes

• The Head Fox
  • Elder Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2021, 05:50:45 PM »
Since I made a few adjustments around here, I've only gotten one database-error email from the forum. I still don't know what's causing them but it's dropped off sharply from being a near-daily problem. I also haven't heard back from my host, so with any luck I won't have to make any changes for a while.

Still hoping YASL gets back in touch, but the urgency is way lower at this time.

Offline Furry-Sneezes

• The Head Fox
  • Elder Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2021, 06:44:03 PM »
I've had to disable the media gallery temporarily. I used a semi-roundabout manner, and I can undo this if there's still issues on the site. Usage has been kicked up again and my host is starting to complain. Since it's a very heavy feature (this and the chat room no one uses) I am going to try to disable it the best I can and see if things persist. If it persists, I'll try chat next though that one's harder.

Once again, if anyone can reach yasl, please tell him to poke in. Thanks, and sorry for being a crappy web host for everyone.

Edit: Nevermind, found where to mostly-turn-off the chat. Please note that I also disabled any indication that people are IN said chat room, so functionally it is now obsolete. However you're welcome to schedule a roleplay session with people via private message. "Come to chat at X time" - Even I won't notice, haha.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2021, 06:46:59 PM by Furry-Sneezes »

Offline Furry-Sneezes

• The Head Fox
  • Elder Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2021, 09:36:46 AM »
Follow-up, they wrote back and said there have been no issues since I did that. I may try to re-enable things one little bit at a time, with rather conservative settings. I'm not sure what I can tweak yet, but I'll at least make an attempt at getting it turned back on. No clue if it was chat or gallery though.